Woman looking at the damage to her car from a hit and run accident.

How Do You Recover Compensation in a Hit and Run Accident?

Few things are scarier than being involved in a hit and run accident. You are left alone at the scene. You may be injured. You may have difficulty processing what just happened. On top of the hurt and trauma that comes with being hit by a driver that flees the accident scene, you have the added stress of considering how you will cover all of the costs that can come following an accident. Who will pay for your medical care? This question can plague accident victims and this is even more true when the party responsible for the accident flees the scene.

I was just in a hit and run accident, how do I get compensation?

A person can run from an accident scene for a number of reasons. He or she may have been intoxicated or had a suspended driver’s license. The person may have been operating a stolen vehicle or had outstanding warrants out for arrest. Whatever the reason for leaving the accident scene, an accident victim left behind carries the burden of the hit and run driver’s negligence. If you have been involved in a hit and run accident, you can take steps to help find the driver who left the scene. You may be hurt and in shock. Do whatever you are able to under the circumstances. Try taking a photo of the other vehicle. Call the police and report the hit and run. Provide a description of the vehicle that is as thorough as possible. Note things such as the make, model, and color of the vehicle. It is often possible for the police to locate the vehicle that caused the hit and run accident.

If the hit and run driver is found, then you may seek recovery for your injuries through pursuing a bodily injury claim under his or her insurance coverage. If the hit and run driver does not have any insurance or the driver is never located, you will have to rely on your own insurance coverage to pay for your expenses resulting from the accident. Pennsylvania is a no-fault state which requires drivers to carry $5,000 in medical benefits insurance coverage. This coverage will help cover your medical bills after an accident regardless of who was at fault for causing the accident. Should you require more medical coverage, you may be able to file an uninsured motorist (UM) claim.

UM coverage is not required in Pennsylvania, but our office strongly recommends that clients purchase this additional coverage. All too often drivers choose to operate vehicles despite not having the required auto insurance coverage. Other times, drivers leave an accident scene. In either of these cases, your UM coverage would be available to you. If you are the victim of a hit and run accident and you have UM coverage, you can make a claim under your UM coverage to help you pay for expenses associated with the accident.

Pennsylvania Personal Injury Attorneys

If you have been the victim of a hit and run accident, the team of trusted personal injury attorneys at Cooper Schall & Levy will help you pursue every avenue of recovery. We are here to help you in your time of need. Contact us today.